Monday, December 19, 2011

What Do You Think It Is?

I started up this blog to celebrate YA fiction. I thought it'd be a great chance to talk about movies, books and authors who all love YA.

What is about YA that is so super cool?
I'm 33 and I always find myself in the teen section of the library or bookstore. I just can't get enough of teenage angst, obviously!

I can't decide why. Maybe it's because I love young people. There is something so real and pure about the way they feel, love and respond to things. Everything is so dramatic! I love how hyper aware teens are and I love the way they live life with such passion and zest. They haven't been tainted by the reality of the mundane work force or mortgage payments yet.

So, to read stories about these cool beings is so exciting. As a writer putting them into these adventures is so fun. You have so much scope to work with. You can make anything happen for them.

Now - I'm not saying I don't enjoy reading adult stories as well. I'm not saying that you can't have enormous fun writing adult stories - I have a few up my sleeve that I can't wait to write one day. I'm just saying the the YA market is huge and it has to be for a really good reason.

What do you think it is that makes YA so deliciously fun to read?

2 comments:

  1. I have the same problem and have seriously thought about this before. I think the simple answer is there is something magical about being young and everyone has felt it at some point and understands it. Reading YA novels takes you there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. There is something very magical about the teen years. No matter how good or bad they may have been, they'll stay with us forever.

    ReplyDelete