Friday, April 13, 2012

Friday Favourites ~ hair styles

I have long hair. I grew it long when I was 15, after years of my mum cutting it short and not letting me grow it. I guess you could say I rebelled!! And I haven't been able to cut it short since. Recently it was so long it almost reached my butt, but I got my brother (a hairdresser) to give me a new style and now it's layered, which is great as it suits my hair curly and straight (I love my straightener).

Anyway I do tend to get stuck in a rut with my hairstyle. I don't really follow trends, I just like it long. When it comes to the characters I write, I always give them long hair too. I seem to have a 'thing' about short hair (I still blame mum and my childhood). I wear braids a lot, throw my hair in a ponytail or messy knot but hardly ever wear it down (my children tend to pull on it).

What I was wondering today was, does a character's hair say much about who they are?

When I watch movies, I find it unrealistic that females have their hair down and styled through the whole movie when that SO doesn't happen in real life. We girls put our hair up to get it out of our faces (or out of the way of grubby baby hands), we don't have it dangling down while we clean the toilet etc... etc... so I'm thinking it's probably good to be aware of that while we are writing so our characters are real, not movie characters!

After saying all that, what is your fave hairstyle or what hairstyle would you love to have ?
I have messy curls that aren't tight and springy or loose and gorgeous, did I mention I love to use my straightener!! But if I had more time (and skill) I'd love those loose big curls that hang perfectly around the face and shoulders!

No comments:

Post a Comment