Monday, July 9, 2012

FUSE Teen Reading Competition



The Auckland City Libraries is running a great initiative. The FUSE Teen Competition is a big drive to get teens into the library system. They want to encourage kids to own their own library card and get reading.

How cool is that?!?

I am super excited about this for a few reasons...

1. I used to be a school teacher so seeing kids read is a total buzz for me.
2. Brenda and I have been invited to speak at the Launch Party on July 11th. 
3. Any initiative that encourages teens to read has to rock.
4. I'm so excited about chatting to the kids who attend the launch party and giving away a few books.
5. Encouraging children to read can only be a good thing.

Okay - how many times can I reword this... :)

You get my point.

So if you live in Auckland, and you have teenagers, send them along to the launch party at Pakuranga Library - 4.30pm.

If you are reading this from the other side of the world... do your local libraries run anything like this? If not, it might be a great opportunity for you to rock on up and make a few suggestions. If you're a writer, it could be great exposure for your books. All the librarians I have spoken to have been SO enthusiastic about having authors chat to kids. I encourage you to be brave and put yourself out there. Some risks are definitely worth taking :)

No comments:

Post a Comment