Thursday, January 17, 2013

Discussion Time: Is is okay for an author to write in multiple genres?

I have written about this topic before. If you'd like to read my previous post on Indies Unlimited, you can check it out here.

The post generated quite a bit of discussion among other writers, most of them saying that writing in multiple genres is completely fine.

But I want to know what readers think.

You see, as an author, I don't want to get trapped into only writing one genre. I'm happy playing with YA at the moment. I love it actually, but I have some adult stories up my sleeve that I hope to write one day. Also, within YA, I have a plethora of stories I'd like to write ranging from paranormal/fantasy through to contemporary and some action/thrillers. I can promise my readers that no matter what genre my story falls into, it will always have a strong romantic element running through it, be fast paced and filled with lots of dialogue.

As a reader, I quite like it when authors branch out and try new things, as long as they don't lose their voice too much.

As a reader, do you mind if an author strays into different genres? Or do you prefer knowing that when you reach for a book by a particular author that you will get exactly what you expect?

I'm fascinated by what people think about this and I would love it if you could leave your opinion in the comments section.

2 comments:

  1. I'm actually conflicted. Once I find an author I enjoy and read a few books, I will get more because I liked the genre and style of those first books. I'm not opposed to having an author writing in multiple genres (especially since I intend to do that) but I think I'd like there to be some kind of signifier on the book to visually tell the difference. Perhaps a different style font for the author's name. As a general rule though, I like to see authors branch out and grow. As long as I don't sit down to a sappy romance and get a mystery suspense or something. Then again, that's what a synopsis is for. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments, Camika :)

      I agree that it's good if the cover and synopsis really tell the reader that this particular author is trying something new.

      There are some authors that I don't actually like all of their books, but it doesn't stop me reading the ones that appeal to me.

      Delete