Monday, July 1, 2013

AUTHOR HIGHLIGHT - Sarah Alderson



I discovered this talented lady when a friend of mine gifted me her book, Hunting Lila. It took me a while to get around to reading it, but when I did.... oh my goodness!!!! I devoured it...and then I immediately purchased Losing Lila (2nd book in the series) and promptly devoured that as well.

Sarah Alderson KNOWS how to write. Her Lila books were fast paced, filled with complex characters, and had one of the best romances I've read in a while. Oh yeah, she's also the queen of similes.

It is my absolute pleasure to have her visit YAlicious today and tell us a little more about the Lila series and her own writing.

First off, I just want to say how much I loved these books. The thing that drew me in more than anything was the awesome romance between Alex and Lila. When you created Alex you must have been swooning. What do you love most about him?
Thanks! Yes indeed, Alex was very much my dream man. When I wrote the book I was completely in love with him (still am). He basically was a composite of a few people and had all the qualities I find attractive in a man. I think what I love most about him is that he's just quietly protective. I'm so sick of reading books about alpha guys who are basically a'holes. You know the ones where they're really aggressive and controlling to the point of being psycho stalkers? That's not sexy. Come on girls. I wish people would read more critically as that's just damaging to young girls who grow up then thinking that's what an ideal man should be like. I love Alex's honour and integrity. That's hot.

You have so many fantastic characters in these books. I ended up liking so many of them. They felt like family somehow. Do you have a favourite among them or one that you felt most connected to?
Oh wow. I'm so connected to all the characters in these books. They're very real to me so it's hard to say, especially as I've spent time in most of their heads now for a short story collection coming out in October, so I feel I know them even better. I love Alex and Lila but I suppose my heart really goes out to Demos. I think he's such a noble character and so misunderstood. He's acting from a place of love and deep mourning. But if I was going to be stranded on a desert island with one of them it would be Alex.

It must have been fun coming up with the different powers some of your characters have. If you had a power, what would you want it to be?
I think Jack's which only get's revealed in Losing Lila. I just love it. But being Nate would be cool too - I wouldn't mind being able to project anywhere I wanted. Imagine the things you could learn if you were a fly on the wall. I'd get all my celeb gossip first hand. I'd hang out a lot with Brangelina and the Obamas.

These books are packed full of awesome action. I love that Alex and Lila's brother are military trained. Did you have any challenges with writing these stories, making sure you were getting the finer details right?
That's why I'm grateful to write in the age of Wikipedia! Between that and reading other military websites and visiting Oceanside where the base is, I think I managed to pull it off. Also I watched Top Gun a lot as a kid. Does that count?

Do you have any future stories planned for Lila and Alex...or any of the other characters?
Tormenting Lila just came out. That's a short story ebook that's set 8 weeks after the end of Losing Lila. I also have a short story collection coming out in October which will include Turning Amber and Catching Suki as well as some new ones. Then there's a very R-rated deleted scene from Losing Lila that's being issued as part of an ebook bind up of the two Lila books - out in January. Everyone keeps asking me about a third Lila book and my feeling is that I will start writing it this year. I just want to make sure that the story is the best story I can think of before I commit. I wouldn't want to let anyone down.

Also the film of Hunting Lila is in the early stages of development - but if it gets the green light, which I'm hoping it does (and soon!) then yes, there will most definitely be a third book. 


Top 5
Music Style: Everything. Currently listening to The XX, The Lumineers, John Martyn, Joni Mitchell, The Civil Wars, Bon Iver, Mumford & Sons, Ohio. I guess I like folk and indie.

Movie Genre: Everything! Fave movies of the last six months: Argo, Django Unchained, Searching for Sugarman.

Book Genre: Young adult and literary fiction.

Ice cream flavour: Chocolate.

Place to write: Anywhere - but preferably my studio overlooking the rice paddies in Bali.


Thank you so much for taking the time to answer these questions, Sarah. I'm really excited about the latest short story and the collection you have coming out. Fingers crossed for the movie deal too!! How cool would that be!

If you'd like to purchase any of these awesome books, you can visit Sarah's AMAZON AUTHOR PAGE.

You can also connect with Sarah on her WEBSITE, TWITTER, GOODREADS and FACEBOOK.

No comments:

Post a Comment