Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Book Review - Fire by T. G. Ayer

Normal people sneak out to a party and have fun. Maya Rao ends the evening by incinerating the guy who attacks her. 

Nik Lucas, sexy, new in town and totally forbidden, happens to walk in on her. Normal guys would run for the hills. Nik knows a whole lot more than he's telling.

Maya doesn't believe the gods are real, doesn't waste her time with mere mythology. But when gods, demons and hellhound's become the new normal and wielding fire becomes her new skill, she must decide what it is she really believes.

Can Maya accept that normal is something she will never be because it isn't normal to be...the Hand of Kali.


My thoughts...

Let me first talk about the beauty of this cover. Isn't it gorgeous? Look at that hair! I think it's stunning.

Now to the story. This is my favourite T. G. Ayer book so far. I think it's because it has far more teen angst than her other books and I'm really into that. Maya is a great character. Ayer knows how to write kick-ass female leads and Maya is no exception. But Maya also has a softness and uncertainty about her that is endearing.

The romantic elements of this story are great. I'm totally into the whole forbidden love thing and Nik is a GREAT character. I was totally crushing on him throughout the book :)

I also love Maya's two best friends. They bring so much flavour to the story. They balanced the tense action with the right amount of comic relief and a few heartfelt moments that were brilliantly written.

Another plus about this story is the unique nature of the mythology. I knew nothing about Hindu mythology before reading this and I found it fascinating. I love that we find out things at the same time Maya does. It made me feel like I was walking the journey with her and helped me engage so much faster.

If you're looking for a unique story with strong characters and Ayer's usual writing flair, then you should definitely check out Fire.

Purchase Links:
Amazon US
Amazon UK
Barnes and Noble
iTunes

Add the book to your reading list on Gooreads: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17264568

No comments:

Post a Comment