Monday, August 5, 2013

How About You? Writing Styles

I usually try to aim this blog at readers. I want it to be a site that readers can visit to discover new authors and books that will tickle their fancy.

But today, I want to aim my post at writers.
Every writer I know is an avid reader anyway :)

I wanted to talk about writing styles.
What kind of writer are you?

Me? I like writing (and reading) books that are short and punchy. I don't like too much description. I love lots of dialogue and lots of emotion. I like to fall in love with the characters. I want to be drawn into their worlds and get inside their heads. I want to cry and feel everything the characters are going through. So I like stories that are very character driven. I also love romance. Great relationships are key for me. I will lose interest very quickly if I don't have a couple that I can cheer for. That's why my stories will always have a strong, romantic element. And I like a little mystery. I love surprising my readers. I love weaving a thread through the book that will keep readers flipping pages and be unable to put the book down.

My goal as a writer has always been to help people escape into a different reality for a while, to get drawn into a story - to laugh, cry and fall in love. I want to write those books you can read in one sitting and am always so chuffed when I read a review that says, "I couldn't put the book down" OR "I read it in one sitting."

So how about you?
What kind of stories tickle your fancy?
What kind of writer are you?

2 comments:

  1. I tend to read and write sparsely, but every once in a while I like a little extra adjective and adverb thrown in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. A nicely placed adjective or adverb can be very powerful.

      Delete