Friday, December 13, 2013

Fun Friday - An Interview with Stacey Rourke

It's always so much fun interviewing authors, so this week the YA Storytellers are interviewing each other so that you guys can get to know a little more about us.

I was lucky enough to get Stacey Rourke as my pick and it's so cool to have her on YAlicious today.
Welcome, Stacey!

What would you find in your refrigerator right now?
Leftover birthday cake, beer and three kinds of coffee creamer. Huh. I really need to go shopping...

If you could wave a magic wand and have any career (besides writing) what would it be?
Heiress to a fortune that has unlimited financial resources to shop, vacation, and do whatever suits me. That would be swell. 

What inspires you out of writer's block?
Two things: music and people watching. Music inspires emotional heavy scenes for me, while people watching can help me create situations I couldn't have dreamed up otherwise--all while being a slight creeper and staring at strangers.

Any works in process that you are passionate about?
I have a new adult speculative fiction series I am working on now that I am insanely excited about. I'd tell you more, but then I'd have to kill you. 

Which of your characters would you like to be friends with?
Rowan from the Gryphon Series, he's such a cocky ass but he's always good for a laugh. Plus, that drunken pirate thing really works for me, hence my love for Captain Jack Sparrow. 

Which of your characters do you like writing about most?
Grams, a crazy old lady that speaks her mind and has a love for anything animal print. She is always a hoot to write! 

What is your favorite 80s movie? band? song? TV show?
Beetleguise, he's not a band but Billy Idol, "Hey Mickey" and 21 Jump Street

Do you have a favorite charity?
Toys for Tots, Coats for Kids or basically any that help better the lives of children. 

Tell us about your favorite Christmas tradition.
On Christmas Eve my kids and I make sugar cookies for Santa and lay out carrots for his reindeer. Then we snuggle in with some hot chocolate and watch The Polar Express. Right before bed we read T'was the Night Before Christmas and I tuck them in. One of my favorite times of year, by far!  

Do you see any current trends in YA literature?

The trends change constantly. But whatever we can do to keep our young adults reading I am all for! 

Thanks so much, Stacey. I read T'was the Night Before Christmas to my kids on Christmas Eve too. It's such a special treat :)

If you'd like to find out more about Stacey, you can check out her links and books below.

And if you'd like to read some more YA Storyteller interviews, check out YA STORYTELLERS FUN FRIDAY.

RONE Award Winner for Best YA Paranormal Work of 2012 for Embrace, a Gryphon Series Novel
Young Adult and Teen Reader voted Author of the Year 2012.

Stacey Rourke is the author of the YA Fantasy Gryphon Series and the nonfiction autobiographical I'm Not Crazy, I'm on Lupron; a Journey Through Infertility. She lives in Michigan with her husband, two beautiful daughters, and two giant, drooly dogs. Stacey loves to travel, has an unhealthy shoe addiction and considers herself blessed to make a career out of talking to the imaginary people that live in her head. She is currently hard at work on the continuations of the Gryphon Series as well as other literary projects.

Visit her at www.staceyrourke.comdiaryofasemi-crazyauthor.blogspot.com, Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stacey-Rourke/ or on Twitter @Rourkewrites.





1 comment:

  1. OMG I ADORED 21 Jump Street!! I'd forgotten all about it. It was awesome!! x

    ReplyDelete